[BlueObelisk-discuss] Cohen-Ingold-Prelog rules into Jmol
Robert Hanson
2017-04-07 23:43:12 UTC
Just thought I would let people know that Jmol/JSmol now can calculate R/S
chirality for any carbon atom. I've been working with Jmol for 10 years and
only yesterday realized it was pretty trivial to write this. Well, better
late than never, right?? And only 100 lines of code. What a deal!

I'm trusting on this erudite group to punch holes in it, of course. What
are the really tricky cases?

See

https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jsmol/simple2.htm?load%
20http://www.biotopics.co.uk/jsmol/molecules/taxolH.mol;
label%20%[chirality];background%20labels%20yellow;
set%20antialiasdisplay;set%20echo%20top%20center;echo%20Taxol

You can also experiment with this at https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/
jmol/jsmol/jsmetest2.htm

I'm also not sure exactly how to validate it. Ideas?

Bob
--
Robert M. Hanson
Larson-Anderson Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900
Egon Willighagen
2017-04-08 06:27:06 UTC
Post by Robert Hanson
Just thought I would let people know that Jmol/JSmol now can calculate R/S
chirality for any carbon atom. I've been working with Jmol for 10 years and
only yesterday realized it was pretty trivial to write this. Well, better
late than never, right?? And only 100 lines of code. What a deal!
Does it cover R,S choices because of cis/trans isomerism of double bonds
elsewhere?

(The CIP rules were not written with algorithms in mind, and the rules are
not very heuristic...)
Post by Robert Hanson
I'm trusting on this erudite group to punch holes in it, of course. What
are the really tricky cases?
Some test cases can be found here:
https://github.com/cdk/cdk/blob/1a7b017568faef461800002b146d753f7fa25936/descriptor/cip/src/test/java/org/openscience/cdk/geometry/cip/CIPSMILESTest.java

Egon
-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900
E.L. Willighagen
Department of Bioinformatics - BiGCaT
Maastricht University (http://www.bigcat.unimaas.nl/)
Homepage: http://egonw.github.com/
Blog: http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/
ORCID: 0000-0001-7542-0286
ImpactStory: https://impactstory.org/u/egonwillighagen
Rzepa, Henry S
2017-04-08 06:41:46 UTC
I once did a PhD viva for Peter Johnson at Leeds, ~1995. A student there had spent three years punching holes in the CIP rules for all sorts of strange situations, and as it happens sending the results to Prelog for inclusion in his list of “problems”. I believe they discovered quite a few. There were many non-convergent examples, where following the hierarchical path led to oscillations (as Egon says, the rules are not very heuristic).

My own interest is helical chirality, which are NOT atom centred (think say 6-helicene, where all the individual atoms are sp2) or the Mobius systems, which are links and knots (D2/D3/D4 etc group theoretical symmetries).

Somewhat in the middle are the axially-symmetric chiralities, ie allenes, where in effect one has to look at three atoms at a time.

Henry Rzepa, http://orcid.org/0000-0002-8635-8390
Just thought I would let people know that Jmol/JSmol now can calculate R/S chirality for any carbon atom. I've been working with Jmol for 10 years and only yesterday realized it was pretty trivial to write this. Well, better late than never, right?? And only 100 lines of code. What a deal!
Does it cover R,S choices because of cis/trans isomerism of double bonds elsewhere?
(The CIP rules were not written with algorithms in mind, and the rules are not very heuristic...)
I'm trusting on this erudite group to punch holes in it, of course. What are the really tricky cases?
Some test cases can be found here: https://github.com/cdk/cdk/blob/1a7b017568faef461800002b146d753f7fa25936/descriptor/cip/src/test/java/org/openscience/cdk/geometry/cip/CIPSMILESTest.java <https://github.com/cdk/cdk/blob/1a7b017568faef461800002b146d753f7fa25936/descriptor/cip/src/test/java/org/openscience/cdk/geometry/cip/CIPSMILESTest.java>
Egon
See
https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jsmol/simple2.htm?load%20http://www.biotopics.co.uk/jsmol/molecules/taxolH.mol;label%20%[chirality];background%20labels%20yellow;set%20antialiasdisplay;set%20echo%20top%20center;echo%20Taxol <https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jsmol/simple2.htm?load%20http://www.biotopics.co.uk/jsmol/molecules/taxolH.mol;label%20%[chirality];background%20labels%20yellow;set%20antialiasdisplay;set%20echo%20top%20center;echo%20Taxol>
You can also experiment with this at https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jsmol/jsmetest2.htm <https://chemapps.stolaf.edu/jmol/jsmol/jsmetest2.htm>
http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr <http://www.stolaf.edu/people/hansonr>
-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900
E.L. Willighagen
Department of Bioinformatics - BiGCaT
Maastricht University (http://www.bigcat.unimaas.nl/ <http://www.bigcat.unimaas.nl/>)
Homepage: http://egonw.github.com/ <http://egonw.github.com/>
LinkedIn: http://se.linkedin.com/in/egonw <http://se.linkedin.com/in/egonw>
Blog: http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/ <http://chem-bla-ics.blogspot.com/>
PubList: http://www.citeulike.org/user/egonw/tag/papers <http://www.citeulike.org/user/egonw/tag/papers>
ORCID: 0000-0001-7542-0286
ImpactStory: https://impactstory.org/u/egonwillighagen <https://impactstory.org/u/egonwillighagen>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blueobelisk-discuss mailing list
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/blueobelisk-discuss
John Mayfield
2017-04-08 08:58:40 UTC
Hi Bob,
I've been working with Jmol for 10 years and only yesterday realized it
was pretty trivial to write this
Then you haven't written it correctly :-). It takes the first

John
-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900
John Mayfield
2017-04-08 09:06:05 UTC
Doh sent too soon
Hi Bob,
I've been working with Jmol for 10 years and only yesterday realized it
was pretty trivial to write this
Then you haven't written it correctly :-). It takes the first 20 pages of
this document (
http://old.iupac.org/reports/provisional/abstract04/BB-prs310305/Chapter9.pdf)
to go over the basics. Sure rule 1/2 are super easy but beyond that the
algorithm really gets complicated. In fact it's intractable in general (it's
degenerate to the longest path problem
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_path_problem>) and so most programs
limit what input can be used. ChemDraw for example limits to distance 15,
ACD Sketch, SSSR count. CHEBI:51439
<http://www.ebi.ac.uk/chebi/searchId.do;jsessionid=BFA2BFF530D2A3DC979B5CD941EC6280?chebiId=CHEBI%3A51439>
for example will break any correct implementation. See my thesis (linked
below) for a brief evaluation of software comparing when they
agree/disagree.

Out of interest why do you think it's useful? At NextMove Roger, Daniel,
and Myself have all written one at some point and reached the conclusion
unless you're naming compounds you don't need it.

Some Resources:

https://nextmovesoftware.com/blog/2015/01/21/r-or-s-lets-vote/

Section 6.2.5 onwards.
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/sites/ebi.ac.uk/files/shared/documents/phdtheses/jmay-thesis-corrected.pdf
Wolf Ihlenfeldt
2017-04-08 09:14:25 UTC
Post by Robert Hanson
Just thought I would let people know that Jmol/JSmol now can calculate R/S
chirality for any carbon atom. I've been working with Jmol for 10 years and
only yesterday realized it was pretty trivial to write this. Well, better
late than never, right?? And only 100 lines of code. What a deal!
Then it is incorrect. No way this can be done so tersely covering all the
corner and back/forth interdependence cases. The Cactvs toolkit
implementation is close to 10K lines of code, as a comparison.
-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900
Phone: +49 6174 201455 - Fax +49 6174 209665
---
xemistry gmbh – GeschÀftsfÃŒhrer/Managing Director: Dr. W. D. Ihlenfeldt
Address: Hainholzweg 11, D-61462 Königstein, Germany
HR Königstein B7522 : Ust/VAT ID DE215316329 : DUNS 34-400-1719