[BlueObelisk-discuss] Article in The Guardian
Jérôme Pansanel
2012-01-18 07:01:46 UTC
Dears,

Did some one read this article:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jan/16/academic-publishers-enemies-science

Any comment about it?

Cheers,

Jerome
Peter Murray-Rust
2012-01-18 08:49:09 UTC
Post by Jérôme Pansanel
Dears,
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jan/16/academic-publishers-enemies-science
Yes - Mike Taylor asked by to review it before publication. I think it's
very powerful.

I hope that this pushes science inexorably to Open Access. I'm not
suggesting that OA should be part of the BlueO - we specifically omitted
that from the mantra of Open/Data/Standards/Source. But it's gratifying to
see that the J.Cheminform BlueO article is highly accessed.
Post by Jérôme Pansanel
Any comment about it?
Cheers,
Jerome
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
University of Cambridge
CB2 1EW, UK
+44-1223-763069
Robert E. Belford
2012-01-18 15:23:00 UTC
There seems to be several things going on in the US right now. Wikipedia is
down in the US today protesting two other house bills, SOPA and PIPA.

Does anyone know if sites like this are legit?

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/207/support-the-open-access-movement-stop-the
-research-works-act/?cid=FB_TAF

Cheers,

Bob

+44-1223-763069
Peter Murray-Rust
2012-01-18 21:19:13 UTC
Post by Robert E. Belford
There seems to be several things going on in the US right now. Wikipedia
is down in the US today protesting two other house bills, SOPA and PIPA.**
**
** **
Does anyone know if sites like this are legit?****
** **
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/207/support-the-open-access-movement-stop-the-research-works-act/?cid=FB_TAF
****
**
I came across it 3 days ago - I'm pretty sure it's legit. I have asked on
the Open Access lists but they are so disorganised they haven't responded
on where to post petitions
Post by Robert E. Belford
**
Cheers,****
Bob****
+44-1223-763069
Karol M. Langner
2012-01-19 08:04:01 UTC
Post by Peter Murray-Rust
Post by Jérôme Pansanel
Dears,
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/jan/16/academic-publishers-enemies-science
Yes - Mike Taylor asked by to review it before publication. I think it's
very powerful.
I hope that this pushes science inexorably to Open Access. I'm not
suggesting that OA should be part of the BlueO - we specifically omitted
that from the mantra of Open/Data/Standards/Source. But it's gratifying to
see that the J.Cheminform BlueO article is highly accessed.
One thing that occurred to me while reading this article was that OA would
probably benefit a lot from an elite, high profile journal. One that could
seriously compete with the likes of Nature or Science. Sounds a little far-fetched
as I read it, but often I get the impression that scientists treat publishing
in OA journals as a sort of charity or activism. It does not have the
kudos effect that gets scientists so excited by Nature/Science.

More specifically, what I mean is that most people agree that OA is a good idea,
and they are quite apt to read OA articles. But publishing OA comes a lot harder.
Especially when it comes to their best work, I am sure that no less than 99% of
all scientists would ever pass on the chance of publishing in Nature/Science.
Simply because they are so prestigious, highly filtered, etc.

Just look at the official "benefits" of publishing in a PLoS journal:
http://www.plosmedicine.org/static/benefits.action
... the most exciting point, for most people, is clearly #8 (the chance to have a high impact),
and perhaps OA needs a place where that point is #1.

Just a reflection,
Karol
--
written by Karol Langner
Thu Jan 19 08:39:44 CET 2012
Peter Murray-Rust
2012-01-19 13:20:51 UTC
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Karol M. Langner
Post by Karol M. Langner
One thing that occurred to me while reading this article was that OA would
probably benefit a lot from an elite, high profile journal. One that could
seriously compete with the likes of Nature or Science. Sounds a little far-fetched
as I read it, but often I get the impression that scientists treat publishing
in OA journals as a sort of charity or activism. It does not have the
kudos effect that gets scientists so excited by Nature/Science.
It's happening in Biomedicine. Wellcome Trust/Howard Hughes /Max Planck
are creating eLife. Mark Patterson has left PLoS to run this. I am sure it
will succeed and challenge NatSciCell. But the volume of papers will
probably be small.

http://wellcometrust.wordpress.com/2011/11/07/elife-a-journal-by-scientists-for-scientists/
+44-1223-763069
Karol M. Langner
2012-01-19 15:26:59 UTC
Post by Karol M. Langner
One thing that occurred to me while reading this article was that OA would
probably benefit a lot from an elite, high profile journal. One that could
seriously compete with the likes of Nature or Science. Sounds a little far-fetched
as I read it, but often I get the impression that scientists treat publishing
in OA journals as a sort of charity or activism. It does not have the
kudos effect that gets scientists so excited by Nature/Science.
It's happening in Biomedicine. Wellcome Trust/Howard Hughes /Max Planck
are creating eLife. Mark Patterson has left PLoS to run this. I am sure it
will succeed and challenge NatSciCell. But the volume of papers will
probably be small.
http://wellcometrust.wordpress.com/2011/11/07/elife-a-journal-by-scientists-for-scientists/
Thanks for that info. I suppose small volume is good thing for a
high profile journal. And a high rejection rate means publication
in that journal will be a privelege, right?

- Karol
--
written by Karol Langner
Thu Jan 19 16:23:18 CET 2012
Egon Willighagen
2012-01-22 10:14:12 UTC
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Karol M. Langner
Post by Karol M. Langner
Thanks for that info. I suppose small volume is good thing for a
high profile journal. And a high rejection rate means publication
in that journal will be a privelege, right?
Right. Prestige is orthogonal to quality, but serves it role. (OA is
orthogonal to quality too).

Egon
--
Dr E.L. Willighagen
Postdoctoral Researcher
Karol M. Langner
2012-01-22 14:25:38 UTC
Post by Karol M. Langner
Thanks for that info. I suppose small volume is good thing for a
high profile journal. And a high rejection rate means publication
in that journal will be a privelege, right?
Right. Prestige is orthogonal to quality, but serves it role. (OA is
orthogonal to quality too).
Egon
They sure are independent, if that's what you mean by orthogonal,
but many people would claim they are correlated (at least statistically).

- Karol
--
written by Karol M. Langner
Sun Jan 22 15:21:50 CET 2012
Peter Murray-Rust
2012-01-22 15:37:49 UTC
On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Karol M. Langner
Post by Karol M. Langner
Post by Egon Willighagen
Right. Prestige is orthogonal to quality, but serves it role. (OA is
orthogonal to quality too).
Egon
They sure are independent, if that's what you mean by orthogonal,
but many people would claim they are correlated (at least statistically).
Yes - they are independent variables which may or may not be statistically
indepdent. In Factor Analysis (allied to principal components analysis) the
algorithm tries to rotate orthogonal axes onto independent (non-orthogonal)
axes. Then to select the independent non-orthogonal axes which are closest
to orthogonality. I think we should reserve orthogonality for its precise
meaning (right-angles in multidimensional parameter space)

+44-1223-763069
Egon Willighagen
2012-01-22 16:14:08 UTC
Post by Karol M. Langner
Post by Karol M. Langner
They sure are independent, if that's what you mean by orthogonal,
but many people would claim they are correlated (at least statistically).
Yes - they are independent variables which may or may not be statistically
indepdent. In Factor Analysis (allied to principal components analysis) the
algorithm tries to rotate orthogonal axes onto independent (non-orthogonal)
axes. Then to select the independent non-orthogonal axes which are closest
to orthogonality. I think we should reserve orthogonality for its precise
meaning (right-angles in multidimensional parameter space)
OK, OK, ... I meant to say:

They span a 2D orthogonal space that describes in which things occupy
an area with large variance in both directions, where both access
point pretty much in the direction of the two variables we were
talking about.

Egon
Karol M. Langner
2012-01-23 13:21:31 UTC
Post by Egon Willighagen
Post by Karol M. Langner
Post by Karol M. Langner
They sure are independent, if that's what you mean by orthogonal,
but many people would claim they are correlated (at least statistically).
Yes - they are independent variables which may or may not be statistically
indepdent. In Factor Analysis (allied to principal components analysis) the
algorithm tries to rotate orthogonal axes onto independent (non-orthogonal)
axes. Then to select the independent non-orthogonal axes which are closest
to orthogonality. I think we should reserve orthogonality for its precise
meaning (right-angles in multidimensional parameter space)
They span a 2D orthogonal space that describes in which things occupy
an area with large variance in both directions, where both access
point pretty much in the direction of the two variables we were
talking about.
Egon
So in this terminology, the variance of prestige in OA is not large enough.
--
written by Karol M. Langner
Mon Jan 23 13:26:17 CET 2012