[BlueObelisk-discuss] Wiki4R
Egon Willighagen
2015-01-11 11:33:14 UTC
Hi all,

some of you have already seen this, but I am working with Daniel
Mietchen on a Open grant proposal writing exercise, which is rather
interesting effort, given than applying for EC funding is normally
behind doors, and this feels rather exposed :)

With this project we like to get funding to create a research
community around Wikidata, the CCZero-waivered knowledgebase
associated with Wikipedia. We have selected some domains, and
metabolomics is one of this. A primary goal is to use Wikidata as a
platform for data integration.

One task I have written up here, is aiming at a BODR release (which is
CCZero since release 10) based on Wikidata content, rather than our
custom resources. There are tasks around putting BODR data into
Wikidata, quality assurance etc, and note that Wikidata is aimed to be
a secondary resource, addressing the curated aspects.

Of course, coming to a good description of chemicals is another, and
Wikipedia is currently typically mixing up specific graphs with more
general concepts. They all need support, and that will be part of the
work too.

Another aspect is that we aim to make Wikidata a node in the LOD
cloud, and with small chemicals in mind, will link to as many semantic
chemical resources as possible, including at least ChemSpider and
PubChem, both of which have many identifiers in Wikipedia/Wikidata
already.

The project will be very Open as you can expect, and we aim at a
strong community engagement. There is a lot of mutual benefit.

The proposal deadline is this Tuesday, and this afternoon Daniel will
discuss this project in Oxford at the Force2015 meeting, so if you
have interest, join his session.

Grtz,

Egon
--